Friday, July 15, 2011

Pan-Asian

Exploring Mekong Plaza

I love Mekong Plaza (Mesa, on Dobson, between Apache and Broadway). I love its cool, pale marble floors and I love the lions near the entrance and I love the soothing splash of water inside.

It is a cool space, scented with the notion of lemongrass and ginger and hot, spicy oil.

And I love Mekong Supermarket.

True, not LeeLee’s, but then, it would be hard to come up to that mammoth. I love LeeLee’s, too, but Mekong is like the cool neighbor down the block, while LeeLee’s is the super-cosmopolitan world traveler. One with a gigantic backpack of goods and groceries.

What I also love about Mekong are the really friendly and chatty Hispanic guys behind the butcher and seafood counters at Mekong. Essay a “Como esta?” after “Hola!” and they will tell you all you want to know about the day’s offerings (they’ll do this in English, by the way, so not to worry you’ll need a translator!).

Mekong features a good array of seafood and fresh fish, much of it cleaned and prepped, more offered in its entirety. There’s also an extensive frozen selection. True – this isn’t an array as boggling as the giant’s, but there’s more than enough to satisfy most kitchen needs and then some.

I’ll be heading toward Mekong later, and will have few more details about the fish and meat counters. Then we’ll move ahead to explore the produce section and all those intriguing aisles stacked 10 or 12 feet high.

No comments:

Post a Comment